Thursday, March 20, 2008

Mmmmm....Leftovers

If you haven't already, you have to read the San Gabriel Valley Tribune's "Leftovers from City Hall" blog. My only complaint is that it's light on news from West Covina, the headquarter city of the SGV. But I got an e-mail from one of the blogs authors, Tania Chatila, that the new blog is branching out to include more posts from other cities. She, along with reporter Jennifer McLain, tells us about the stuff going on at city halls that doesn't make it into the paper.

Hey! That was my idea... But I forgive them. I was late. I'm hoping that maybe one day they'll mention this little blog and more people will read it. **hint, hint**

The latest from "Leftovers" includes a subject that's near and dear to my heart: Spelling. Yes, that's right. Reporter Alison Hewitt wrote a post called "Mye Badde." Ms. Hewitt is hoping "Old Town West Covina," which is being requested for "downtown" West Covina (the strip of Glendora Avenue behind the Edwards movie theater), doesn't turn into "Olde Towne West Covina" with those obnoxious Es.

I agree with her wholeheartedly. It shouldn't be called "Olde Towne West Covina."

It should be called "Ghost Town West Covina."

Have you ever been there? Lately? I remember when they opened the Macaroni Grille, that sushi joint and that Hawaiian restaurant. It was a big to-do. Hawaiian dancers were shakin' their hips, people were wearing leis and stuff. That's what I read in the paper anyway because I don't recall getting an invitation to the event. But everyone there was all, "Oh, this is the kick start to revitalizing the whole area," "pedestrian friendly central hub," blah blah blah. That was like, three or four years ago!

So, what happened? Where is my pedestrian friendly central hub? Does anybody know where it is? Did they move it? According to this, it hasn't moved, it just plain sucks! This isn't an overhaul, it's frikkin' landscaping for Pete's sake.

We were promised a real downtown and now all the places that moved in at that Hawaiian-themed event are moving out! I went to that restaurant a couple times and I swear my family and I were maybe one of three or four customers. Why are they all leaving? I bet if you'd ask the owners they'd say it's because they were also promised a big overhaul of Glendora Avenue, too, and never got it. I'd be pissed if I spent all this money on opening a business on the promise of "revitalization" and never got it.

Oh well... Another promise from elected "leaders" promptly thrown out the window. We should be used to that by now. Especially if you happen to live in West Covina.

No comments: