Monday, April 14, 2008

Booze, booze, booze

OK. So I promised a post about booze and I'm a little late. But before I start, I'd like to thank a reader from Arlington, VA who suggested I choose a layout a little less like the North Korean flag and enable it so anonymous users could comment on the posts. I thought I did, but I didn't. I apologize. Everyone: Have At It!

So on with booze.

The Planning Commission heard arguments on April 8 against the proposed repeal of a years long ordinance that prohibits the sale of alcohol at gas stations. This comes after the City Council voted to approve a gas station built by Councilman Mike Touhey's well-known developer client. I wrote a post about this already here.

Now we hear from Herb Redholtz, the planning commissioner who is totally gunning for council in four years (not two because his besest friends foreverest Touhey, Sherri Lane and Shelley Sanderson will likely be running for re-election), that the owner of the gas station swears no booze will be sold at his station.

I guess it's a wait and see game. But at this point, most speakers are against this repeal, throwing out all these stats like there's already like 140 places to buy booze in the city, and repealing the ordinance would include 14 more.

The matter is going back to the council because it came from the council, but according to the commissioners, none of them really agree with it.

So... who wants to bet you'll be able to get a six-pack with your top off?

Come to think of it, after paying 4 bucks a gallon, it doesn't seem such a bad idea to take the edge off.

No comments: