Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thanks, My Spies

The Watcher is in a bit of a pickle. Maybe just a little depressed.

As I've mentioned, the City Council meetings are no longer on TV or online, so, unless I go to the meetings, I have to rely on my readers to tell me what happened. "Why don't you just go to the meetings yourself, Watcher?"

Well, two reasons: My wife usually works late on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which leaves me with the kids.

Secondly, I don't want to run the risk of people figuring out who I am. The last thing I need is folks scanning the room for an unfamiliar face, and when they see this tall, lanky, pale guy with a goofy haircut and Don Johnson stubble, they'll go into attack mode and who knows what will happen next.

So, this is what I gathered from at least one reader: The city put the brakes on the much-touted golf course. Thank Jeebus! That would have cost a ton. But be wary: Big League Dreams was shelved once, too. That shelving was pushed by its biggest supporter, Steve Herfert, only to be dusted off when the City Council changed.

Secondly, there was some hub bub about vending machines. Councilman Roger Hernandez wanted to make sure city machines were filled with healthy stuff; Mike Touhey said the city shouldn't play Big Brother.

I know these two often have philosophical differences, but this difference, however, can be easily explained by a picture. In fact, a picture says a thousand words:

You guessed it, Touhey's the guy on the left, Hernandez on the right.

Far be it from me to criticize a person on his/her weight. But Touhey, himself, said for him a Mini Cooper would be "An expensive skateboard."

I like the idea, though, that the city of West Covina follow the lead of its neighbor, Baldwin Park, and stock vending machines with nutritious snacks. The reason this country is looking more and more like the fellow on the left is because we are always in a hurry. What better way to help curb this epidemic than to offer quick snacks to go that don't pile on the pounds?

While I'm in a "criticizing pictures" mood. Hernandez, dude, that grin is cheesier than a high school senior portrait. Take it down a notch.

On a side note, the ladies at Leftovers from City Hall are taking a beating lately, and I'm always up to defend them, despite the fact Jennifer McLain wrote a glowing story on Big League Dreams.

People are just nasty to them and all they are really doing is disseminating the news. I don't get half the flack they do and I'm a lot meaner and opinionated than them. I think they're doing a fine job. Keep it up, Ladies.

In closing, I'd like to thank my friends out there with their tips on everything from Satellite Radio to Budget Semantics.

Have a happy, and safe, Independence Day.

No comments: